- Thickened extension on buccal surface of maxilla.
- Buttress that prevents maxilla from separating from base of skull.
- Arises between 1st and 2nd molars on buccal surface of maxilla.
- Thick, densely radiopaque “U” shaped structure superimposed over maxillary sinus.
- Zygoma attaches to process and extends posteriorly.
- Don’t confuse the zygomatic process with the wall of the sinus.
- Zygomatic process is usually thicker than sinus wall.
- Zygomatic process is “U” shaped while sinus wall usually is more gradually curved (parallels the alveolar crest).